After a whole month of the Chuuk election being tied up in court, the Chuuk Election office has at last made the announcement that Alexander R. Narruhn and Mekioshy William as the victorious pair… reclaiming their seats as Gov. and Lt. Gov. of the State of Chuuk in 2025. Narruhn and Williams won by a small major against Joe Enlet, former FSM Consul General, and Marcellius Akapito in 2021 and so it seems again against Mark Mailo, and Joe Enlet in 2025.
“Something smells fishy about the whole thing here,” said Herb Paul, social media poster from Lakeside Park, Kentucky.
According to chairman of Chuuk Election, Oncher Walter, who signed off on the results, this is official now. But social media said otherwise. It is even going so far as saying it is not official. And there must be an election for a small portion of the citizenry, the people of Weno!
“There is a confusing message (out there),” said Johnson Elimo, former Gov. of Chuuk State, “that is going around (on social media) saying we are not going to vote. There’s got to be an election conducted. We are voting.”
Tremendous confusion continues to surround the recent election, stemming from the ballot boxes in Weno (the capital of Chuuk State), and the results of the election.
John Patis, who was in charge of the election at the Guam sports complex in Dededo, responded to Chikin Melele’s inquiry of the official winners, saying: “Alexander R. Narruhn and company are still the winners!”
Patis’ response came perhaps after seeing a communiqué that was sent from the Chuuk Election office. In it, there were other pertinent informations that was also sent to the interim Gov. of Chuuk State…vital to the election results.
First, there was the communiqué of the three election board members that were not confirmed by the Senate who also signed the communiqué: Ms. Mayleen Dungawin for the Northwest Region, Mr. Akampo Nakashima for Southern Namoneas and Mr. Mamichi Yos for Faichuk.
Second, the cover letter.
And, third, the election results themselves, reported according to their respective election districts (13 of them).
On social media, people have floated the idea that there would be a do-over, because they claimed results are mostly erroneous.
Elimo said it must happen on 1 April 2025.
Marz Akapito, another poster and the executive director of Chuuk Visitors Bureau, responded by saying that that’s not true! It’s not what the communications sent to the interim governor are saying. There is not going to be a second election, period!
The incoming attorney general for Chuuk State, Esther Kurindanl, responded with a press release on March 27, 2025, saying: “The public is hereby informed that there will be no election conducted on April 1, 2025. There has been misleading information circulated by individuals who have no legal affiliation or authority with the Chuuk Election Commission. We wish to clarify that no Election is scheduled for April 1, 2025. Any person or group who is found spreading false notices about an election will be held accountable and subjected to appropriate legal action.”
FD Sakate, another social media poster, also questioned the validity of her paperwork, and whether she was cleared to practice in the Federated States of Micronesia… her predecessor passed a few weeks ago.
Even though all things appeared official for the Chuuk Election communications to the Governor — the right stationery and the official seal and the right stamps of certification dating to 13th of March — many people are saying that it is not the official results.
Something was off.
At a closer inspection of the CE results sent to governor, a lot of districts have duplicate results.
Cheilina Reiong said in Chuukese: “It’s not right. They still have meetings on those results because Nöminsëfë and the fenapi, outer islands, have everything uniform— the same.”
Tirow Fonuu said, “Something’s really fishy about this… it would be better to conduct another election.”
“You should take a look at Southern Namoneas too,” said Paul. “Totals are virtually identical with all 3 Districts for the Senators.”
Paul also said, “Maybe it’s all for documentation purposes only — unrealistically!”
In Chuukese, Tirow Fonuu, said: “The Election office ought not sent up a lying paperwork to the Gov. Office. I cannot find where it says there will be another election.”
In some instances, much of everything was uniformed across the board, done in haste. For instance, in Election Districts #10, Paffeng: Mike Maras had 1006, Pius Onopei 814, followed by Aichemi Arisano with 791… and ED #11 Namonwëitë: Mike Maras had 1006, Pius Onopei 814, followed by Aichemi Arisano who also had 791.
Now, these Election Districts and more are undoubtedly duplicates, no different in the way they are written. Plus, unless the people of Namonwëitë has just had a magic wand waved over them to grow their own people, they don’t even reach 3,000. Let alone,
4,258… (adding the other candidates 721, 461, 346 and 119).
Read Chuuk State Elections Part 2: Timothy Ruda Promises Bill for ächäsefän (reconciliation)
Read Chuuk election still locked in court (Pacific Island Times)
Be the first to comment on "Chuuk State Elections Part 1: Incumbent Narruhn re-elected Governor but numbers don’t add up"